Wednesday, May 21, 2008

as American as apple pie


Congrats to my sister in-law Priscila. This morning she tucked her Argentine flag away and replaced it with Stars and Stripes. She was among 197 other Utahns who took the oath to become U.S. Citizens. She can now bear arms if the country asks her to. I kind of chuckled when I heard that. There were a lot of things said but I can't remember all of them. I got up pretty early in the a.m. so I would make it on time. Any who... The ceremony was really neat. A 1st grade class from Majestic Elementary(wherever that is)put on the cutest little program. We recited "The Pledge of Allegiance" and sang the "National Anthem." I got a little teary. Woot Woot...Love you Priscila!

A few things I did remember about this morning-
*198 peeps were sworn in this morning. The afternoon session had 202.
*75 of the 198 hailed from Mexico.
*It took Priscila 7 years
*There was a man from Canada that has waited 15(or was it 12?)years
*There were some presently serving in the military.
Mexico, Canada, Argentina, New Zealand, Australia, Peru and Vietnam(a few of the newest U.S. citizens came from these places. I'm sure there was more but this is all that was talked about and what was overheard.)

Of course the ceremony closed with a video montage set to Lee Greenwoods "Proud to be an American." I have to say after being a part of this mornings events I am very "proud to be an american." It really is a priviledge I take for granted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robs,
Ditto to all that and a "Happy Birthday" too. One to remember.
Love Ya, Momma

Molly said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
Love ya!

Heather said...

I hear it's your birthday? Well then have a happy one!!!!! Let's go out!!!

Priscila said...

Robin,
Thank you very much for being there especially being your birthday. So Happy Birthday and I hope you had a great day!! I love you and I think you are really funny. I love reading your posts.

shelby said...

I know I am a day late, but I hope you had a fun birthday!!

Libby said...

Look at it this way-you will probably be one of the only members of your family to always remember the date of Priscila's citizenship ceremony. Won't you look fancy!! Robs-I love you more than my luggage and I am so happy to count you as a sister!

annalisa said...

Robin,

This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but I have a friend in Alaska who had Lindsay's blog on her list, then when I saw your name on Lindsay's blog I couldn't resist checking to see if it was you. It was! Hope you don't mind me looking. Your little one is adorable! I'm terrible at keeping in touch. I just started messing around with this blog thing, hoping it would help me stay connected to friends and family. I would love your e-mail address. When I get the hang of this blog thing I would love to list you as a friend. Talk to you later!
Annie